The 5 truths about my solo scuba diving travels

And you go… alone?”

You have no idea how many time I have been asked this question. So often, that at some point I made up the answer everyone wanted to hear. “Yes, but I am joining friends over there.” What they didn’t know is that my friends were people I didn’t know yet. I’m not a very good liar and I am tired of telling this story just to make people feel comfortable. Now I published this blog post I can finally admit that yes, I’m going on my own… “If you want to know why, I wrote an entire blog post about it!

Scuba diving holidays are not just what they used to be: all-inclusive resorts and liveaboard cruises booked through tour operators at a very expensive price. Single travellers are a new trend in the travel industry. With simple research online it is easy to find scuba diving holidays packages for singles. But sole travelling doesn’t necessary mean “not in a couple”. It seems about 20% of solo travellers are married or in a relationship. Now solo travelling is more and more a way to make a break and find yourself again. In my case, I found no need for a guided tour. Through my backpacking trips, I learnt how easy it could be to organise everything by myself and how much fun it could be to meet other scuba travellers or local scuba divers. So I’ll tell you why, in 5 key points, my solo scuba diving adventures are easier than you think, and how each time they rewarded me in the end.

Safety first: what if something happens to me?

Peaceful in Argentina, my small bag over my shoulder helps me to keep control of my belongings

It is a legitimate concern. Not fearing for my safety doesn’t mean I’m ignorant to the consequences of going alone. In addition, by being a woman, the entire world loves to remind me how afraid I should be every time I step out my door. I would like to make this post as non-gender specific as possible. Why? Statistics in newspapers always talk more about women and the dangers we face, nevertheless, it doesn’t mean because you are a man nothing can happen to you.

I’m an optimistic person but also a very realistic one. 7 years living in Paris, unfortunately, taught me to be cautious and aware of my surroundings. Not paranoid, but careful. I learnt in many places you need to rapidly learn the dos and the don’ts. Here are 3 of my top tips to deal with care about personal welfare when travelling:

• Know your itinerary: Or at least pretend you know where you are. Learning and memorising maps has always been a game for me. It is actually a useful skill. The more confused you look, the higher a chance you will be chosen as a target. Don’t unfold this huge map or open this thick guidebook in the middle of the street; it’s better to find a quiet corner or to stop for a coffee to check or ask for directions. Even if I don’t know where I am, I have become quite good at looking confident. Everywhere I go people ask me for directions as if I’m local!
  • Have a budget for your safety: This tip mostly applies for taxi fares. You love getting lost in a city, but sometimes you end in a bad neighbourhood? You’re arriving late at night in an airport in a place you don’t know at all? Don’t take a chance, always have a bit of money to pay for a taxi to drive you safely to your destination. Travelling independently on a budget doesn’t mean you should not include choices that make you feel safer. Talk to locals or do your research but try to have a taxi number to call.
  • The fake wallet trick: This is such a simple one but so efficient. First of all, bear in mind that if you are attacked with the intention of robbing you, do not resist, and give the attacker what he wants. In the stress of the attack do you think he will clearly see the difference between your real wallet and your fake wallet where you smartly put old student IDs, shop loyalty cards you don’t care about and at least 20€/15£ in cash? It will look like your real one and the attacker will be satisfied with getting the cash.

Unfortunately, anything bad can happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere, even at your door steps. Are we all staying home for that reason? Hopefully not! So it’s better to take a chance and see the World, isn’t it?

About loneliness & boredom: what if I don’t have a dive buddy?

Alone & Scuba diver? Is it even possible?

This is a fact: I’ve never been as surrounded by people or making new friends than when I’ve hit the road alone. It feels like being alone makes you more open and available to socialise. I am a long time user of Couchsurfing. So opportunities to join gatherings for the discovery of a museum or for a drink are abundant. Cool activities involve unique and local experiences such as going to the food market or having tea with my hosts, their friends and family.

Scuba diving added an extra dimension to my solo trips. The time is over where it was impossible for a single scuba diver to travel and dive on their own. You don’t have a buddy? No need to look for solo diving certification: They are plenty of really cool scuba diving centres all around the world where you can find cool diving buddies travelling on their own as well. And if not, the divemasters are always happy to have me as a buddy. The passion for scuba diving usually creates a strong link between people so it is so easy to speak to anyone. A piece of equipment you’ve never seen before? What a perfect way of starting the conversation! Smile and be helpful, and it won’t be long before you start to make new friends. Finally, it is also an opportunity to meet local scuba divers and to learn from their best tips and secrets.

About my budget: What if I have to pay a supplement for single travellers?

Not worrying at all about my budget…

Supplement what? Sorry, I don’t know that thing! It is hard to believe you still find these on some travel agent websites today. By always waiting for someone else to join, you will either put off your adventure or even worse, travel through the most expensive period.  If you can, arrange to visit a place off-season, as it is the best way to enjoy it with fewer people for less.

I first visited Bali in January. It is supposed to be the worst monsoon period. In reality, it was predominantly raining at night and maybe for an hour during the day! It was still warm and I could enjoy famous dive spots like the USS Liberty wreck in Tulamben almost alone. I could also enjoy a luxurious bungalow, bigger than my flat for 10$ a night. Many times I had the opportunity to share rides with other travellers and by staying with locals I rarely got ripped off. My main tip is: book your flight off-season and organise your accommodation by yourself once you’re there. There are a lot of possibilities to get much cheaper fares and extra discounts. In Indonesia, I made simple calculations that I stayed there for a month while travelling around with my rental jeep, scuba diving when I wanted to, for the cost of my rent and food in Paris! It was the same cost than a 10-day liveaboard or dive safari booked online.

About learnings…

more Travel, more Wisdom

By getting time with myself I had time to think about my life and what should be my next steps. By meeting different people and going out of my comfort zone, I learnt so much about different lifestyles, cultures and languages. In a month in Mexico, I went from basic conversational Spanish to being almost bilingual. Total immersion puts you in survival mode. If you need to communicate with people around you, you learn faster. Most of what I know about history and culture of the countries I visited, the food I learnt to prepare and the languages I learnt to master derive from all my solo trips. Travelling is the school of life and I got so much more from it than in my 6 years of university.

About freedom…

Choosing your own way comes with responsibilities

Freedom is a romantic concept. Yet to truly experience it, it comes with responsibilities. Hopefully, these responsibilities are absolutely empowering. Every day you need to decide for yourself what you will do and how to do it. Getting through little challenges like finding an address in a city you don’t know at all, or overcoming language barriers ordering your lunch are little wins, which repeated on a daily basis are life-changing. The freedom you enjoy during these moments actually builds your strength and confidence for anything else in your life.

From my first solo trip in Thailand which led me to pass my open water and my advanced open water scuba diving levels, it changed my way of handling things forever: Once you know you are able to do it, nothing is impossible to you anymore.

So now the biggest question is: where do you want to go?

Please leave comments,  I would love to read stories of your first solo trip or what is still holding you back from trying!

PIN IT FOR LATER

1. I have travelled solo a few times in South-East Asia for short diving trips and I never had any problems – I always found some people to have dinner with or hang out after diving, and dive shop staff were always super helpful to me. Planning is very important though – I do my research and like you I memorise the map of the place in advance so I’m not disoriented. I also do check with the dive shop whether they will run a dive if there is only one diver though – some places don’t. One downside is to be paired up with a dive buddy you wouldn’t be happy with – but like you, I often got paired up with the divemaster so that was no problem.

1. Thanks Emily for sharing your story, South East Asia is great for that! it’s true about the dinner with other divers after a nice day of diving. It is so nice to share delicious local food together while sharing tips about where to go diving next!

2. Love this!

Diving is the best way to travel solo – you’ll always find a buddy! I’ve travelled solo loads of times to five, including Egypt, Indonesia, The Maldives and have had a great time (and I’ve blogged about it once or twice!)

Liveaboards are great, I find because there’s no single charge and you always get paired up with someone else. If you’re not a fan, you can always find a quiet spot on the boat to keep itself to yourself!

Thanks for sharing.

1. Thank you for sharing. I am very impressed you travelled alone in Egypt!

3. Thanks for this post!
    I think and feel the same. I prefer solo travels. You get to know locals and other travellers better when you are alone and open minded with curious eyes than being with friends who don’t share exactly the same way, or non-divers. I once travelled with non-diving friends on my dive trip to a resort. The result was simple, we didn’t see much or spend time except dinner time. And their conversation was how hot it was that day to lay on beach all day long. Every solo trip I had, I always became good friends with locals and keep in touch with them. Also, I’ve met other solo travellers and we shared the same opinions of how fun it is to meet new people and broaden horizons. I’m very glad you wrote this post! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!! 🙂

1. Wow thank you so much for sharing your story! I totally understand how you feel about going on holiday with your non-diving friends. But I sometimes go on some small trips with non-diving friends, still we organise everything by ourselves. As they are quite active as well, we make sure they will find an interesting activity for them, rock climbing or bike tour for example. If you are interested, I post, on the Facebook page, some events where world adventure divers can meet! This summer I have 3 events listed in Scotland.

4. Damien McConnell July 23, 2015 at 11:45 am

Hi Admin,

That is an awesome fact about scuba diving travels. Whenever I will make any plan about the tours I will definitely keep this in my mind. Thanks for giving us such helpful information about scuba diving travels.

Cheers!

5. Hey Florine! Nice post. This gave more confident to go on a solo trip. I am planning for next year as my birthday adventure. I will explore a place locally as a start. To where? – It depends on airfare promo in the coming months! 🙂

1. Awesome! Please give some news!!!

6. Nice article! Been planning to go diving solo in the Maldives and Palau soon!

1. Wow! Palau! Will you go to the jellyfish lake?

7. Dee (or Debi) Jones November 8, 2015 at 5:20 am

This really appeals to me, or if I’m not entirely alone, travelling like this with my two daughters. One thing I would NEVER do again is travel anywhere I want to dive with someone who doesn’t dive, only because past experience, it was a HUGE pain in the ass! haha

8. All of these articles sincerely reflect a love and positive attitude with solo traveling. Nice to read so many people on the same plane. yes, being wise and blending in is important – it also shows a respect that locals appreciate. It shows that you are making an effort to ” not rock the boat” and to “go with the flow”. I have found, in general, locals are pleased to assist when approached with a smile and in an open environment. Keep on trucking!!!

1. Thank you Lin for your kind feed back! I agree, when you make the efforts people are willing to help!

9. Great post! I almost always travel solo, and I love it. People always comment on it though, saying I’m brave. And people often seem to feel bad for me. I always have to explain that I love it!

1. People always comment no matter what you do in life! But it’s pretty cool to be call brave, what do you think?

10. […] from combined experiences of several trips. Whether I explain what it really feels like to go solo on scuba diving trips, how I struggled to buy my very first dry suit or what to really pay attention to when flying for a […]

11. […] Travelling solo for scuba diving took me out of my comfort zone and taught me how much I could count on myself. It doesn’t mean I cannot appreciate when someone wants to give me a hand. That’s the point; I don’t want to need it, I want to appreciate it. I don’t want to need someone, I want to be on a team where we both help each other because it makes us happy. […]

12. Your blog started long ago & I’m happy to have found it now. After a lot of years and several very good buddies who have aged out OR We became separated & more out of touch OR Situations just change OR Too many of the same old trips because they were easy & with old friends. … I’m here.
    Need a “renewal” on diving. Going solo for while sounds like the way. Many thanks for preview.

1. Just try it! 😊 You’ll be surprise how many new friends you’ll make on the road!

13. Love your article,
    I was wondering if I can get your opinion on a future trip that I am planning. I am a college senior that is going to graduate in May and I am planning to go travel the world, mostly Europe, for at least a month. I have been considering doing a trip through EF College Break, where they will take you around 19 cities in Europe in 5 weeks. During these trip, we have free time once or twice to go do whatever we want to do. I am planning to go scuba diving, but I am worried that I won’t be able to scuba dive that much on the trip. The trip alone will cost around $7000 without the scuba part, so in your opinion should I travel with that agency or should I choose another agency or should I just travel alone? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

1. Hi David, thanks your kind feedback! I would say 19 cities in 5 weeks is rificulous (definitely no time fir scuba diving) and you can travel for less than half that budget by yourself using hostels and European low cost airlines!

14. Charlene Kowlessar September 21, 2017 at 7:44 pm

Hi Florine, came across your blog post while searching about scuba diving on a solo trip. I am actually going on a trip to Cancun with friends, but none of them are interested in scuba diving. I travel most of the times solo and this blog post was totally relatable as to how I feel on my solo adventures. This will be my first time scuba diving in a Beginner course, can you advise on what precautions I should take or is it advisable I dive, I really want to dive though on my vacation there.

Charlene

1. Hi Charlene, first of all you have chosen a fantastic destination to start your diving adventures where even beginners can have fun! I advise you to go to Playa del Carmen, first because there are many other solo dive travellers and dive sites including the cenotes are so good. Make sure to select a reputable dive shop registered on PADI or SSI websites, you can also have a look at my selection https://worldadventuredivers.com/dive-centres-directory/ And never worry to go on your own, divemasters like me will always be happy to take care of you 😉